Fully Managed
1000 Gigs/month bandwidth
Cpanels or DirectAdmin

189 US/mth

Worth it?

Scuzz
01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
How many IPs?
How much for a gig of ram, and do they charge by the month for the chip?
Is DirectAdmin any good, and is it as big a resource hog as Cpanel?
What exactly is their definition of "fully managed"?
Are they available by phone and ICQ?
Backups?

kkikki
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
If it is fully managed, then no need to have a control panel eating your resources :D

shunga
01-09-2006, 11:46 PM
If DirectAdmin is what I'm thinking of, it's supposed to be easier on resources than cPanel, which seems to be quite a resource hog.

faxxaff
01-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Dedicated

Intel P4 2.4 Ghz CPU
512 Mb RAM
120 GB IDE Hard Drive
Fully Managed
Cpanels or DirectAdmin

189 US/mth

Worth it?

Read the reviews of that host if you can find them on the hosting boards. There are many hosts that promise 'managed servers' but in reality their support sucks. I do outsource this task and have much better results and reliability. On the bottomline it is even a bit cheaper.

512mb is not enough RAM. Try to get at least 1GB.

Doug E
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
How many IPs?
How much for a gig of ram, and do they charge by the month for the chip?
Is DirectAdmin any good, and is it as big a resource hog as Cpanel?
What exactly is their definition of "fully managed"?
Are they available by phone and ICQ?
Backups?

-5 ip#s on sp100

-150 for 1 gig ram, one time fee

-DA seems to be the better way to go, resource saving wise.

-Fully managed means theyll upgrade everything for me, transfer me over and all that as a part of the price. Theyve been good so far, but they drag ass on little things and ive had a few problems with stuff not beiong done. In their defense I only pay 30 US for my 150 gigs a month virtual package but they have caused me a lot of headaches.

-Phone and ICQ yes.

-They backup to their backup servers. I got to test that once and it worked out fine. (hard drive broke)

Im looking at a couple other options but ive got cold feet (as usual) with spending 200 per month up from the 30 i am now. Comes at a bad time too with the spending season having just come and gone :)

alexshark
01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Mike (icq 893-889
) from xxxhostit.com is the man :)
I am hosting with over a dozen companies including some big names like webair and dreamhost but my top choice is still xxxhostit.com, I am sure he can set u up with a better deal and their support rocks!

Fetishlady
01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
you can check out www.idealbandwidth.com or www.orangefiber.com

ramtar
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
which BW provider does it uses? If it uses yipes or cogentco, don't even think about it!!!

to know that do a tracert companydomainname

INever
01-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Sorry to 'spam' but $8 a month for 1000 GB monthly transfer is a great deal in my eyes. Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?sanctuarymedia)

Doug E
01-11-2006, 05:30 AM
thanks for the replies, even the spam ;) Its nice to have options.

hkcelebs
01-21-2006, 03:10 PM
best bang for your buck ( and a very solid hosting provider to boot) is EV1 servers :

http://www.ev1servers.net/hosting/pentium4_series.asp

hkcelebs

Methodcash Rick
01-21-2006, 03:47 PM
best bang for your buck ( and a very solid hosting provider to boot) is EV1 servers :

http://www.ev1servers.net/hosting/pentium4_series.asp

hkcelebs

Ya, best bang for your buck, if you don't mind having servers that are never updated, are constantly hacked, and used as open proxies for every vietnamese credit card kiddie on the block..

EV1 is horrible for that shit, I'd say 1 in 3 cases of CC fraud we see, comes from an EV1 hacked server

hkcelebs
01-21-2006, 05:15 PM
well, all Data Centers are targeted for attacks like that. It is not EV1's responsibility to ensure that their servers are updated with the latest security patches if they give you administrative access( unless you pay them ), it is the responsibility of the person/organisation renting the servers from EV1.

Also, if you introduce another third party into the equation, for example, the compaines that offer "Control Panels", then it is even less of EV1's responsibility to apply patches. All EV1 should be doing ( and are doing ), is to offer the hosting and ensure that their NOCs are up to a professional standard and have plenty of redundancy and they do this very well.

hkcelebs

Methodcash Rick
01-21-2006, 05:30 PM
well, all Data Centers are targeted for attacks like that. It is not EV1's responsibility to ensure that their servers are updated with the latest security patches if they give you administrative access( unless you pay them ), it is the responsibility of the person/organisation renting the servers from EV1.

Also, if you introduce another third party into the equation, for example, the compaines that offer "Control Panels", then it is even less of EV1's responsibility to apply patches. All EV1 should be doing ( and are doing ), is to offer the hosting and ensure that their NOCs are up to a professional standard and have plenty of redundancy and they do this very well.

hkcelebs

Maybe so, but I still stand behind my statement...

naobaby
01-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Sometimes the server is not hacked, they are simply misconfigured. I've seen many newbie administrators misconfure apache's mod_proxy with forwarding without securing it.

Honestly...many vietnamese are not hackers. They just pass exploits and credit card to each other via IRC. They arent even botherered with cryptography.

ilsoph
01-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Ya, best bang for your buck, if you don't mind having servers that are never updated, are constantly hacked, and used as open proxies for every vietnamese credit card kiddie on the block..

EV1 is horrible for that shit, I'd say 1 in 3 cases of CC fraud we see, comes from an EV1 hacked server

ev1 runs unmanaged servers.. updating s/w is not their responsibility.. too many quasi-sysadmin's trying to save a buck not knowing what they're doing is the problem - not ev1..

fyi, ev1 is far from best bang for buck in terms of unmanaged.. eg, hivelocity, $80 for 10Mbps ..

headfake
01-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Dedicated

Intel P4 2.4 Ghz CPU
512 Mb RAM
120 GB IDE Hard Drive
Fully Managed
Cpanels or DirectAdmin

189 US/mth

Worth it?

What are you going to be using the server for primarly? Your TGP? Galleries? Free sites?

ALOTI
01-22-2006, 05:17 AM
I used EV1 for a year, what a loss, The CP sucked and was not secure. I am with xxxhostit (http://www.xxxhostit.com/) now. Yeah I personally don't have the control I want, but as far as managed, love em. You ask you get and now! Way to go Dutchy! BTW for managed I pay less than you would think compared to EV1. Like $50 bucks in difference considering the service.

ALOTI

Doug E
01-22-2006, 06:48 AM
I actually found one now, someone bumped this thread up and Rick tore him down :)