PDA

View Full Version : which is the best hosting company?

JAV Lover
09-11-2002, 11:20 PM
Hello guys...

Which is the best hosting cmpany in US?

Scuzz
09-12-2002, 01:38 AM
Damn! What a question! :nut:
You looking for price, features, reliability, or what?
Need a pisspot of bandwidth? Here's one I found one day...
http://www.datahosters.net/index.php?category=dedicatedchoker&_aff=choker
Didn't do a whois, but I think they're American.

Edgey
09-12-2002, 06:00 AM
go to http://www.itmom.com 50 cents a gig. you even get a free domain name... No minimum and no setup fee.. I use it for my galleries.. you get php too..

Austin
09-12-2002, 08:18 AM
These guys were recommended in another post.
http://www.racksale.com/deal.htm#
I plan on using them for my new website and galleries.
They look like the best deal around.

mech
09-12-2002, 08:39 AM
http://www.phatservers.net/shared.html - This is one of the better deals I've seen around. I'm very tempted to move to one of these plans myself but I've got a nice deal over at isprime and since I've had to switch hosts once before I know what a pain in the ass it is.

Timothy
09-12-2002, 07:08 PM
i host with xxxwebhosting.com The price is extremely high but i'm very satisfied with the support team. All problem get solved in 24/7/365 Good for me :D

mech
09-12-2002, 09:30 PM
i host with xxxwebhosting.com The price is extremely high but i'm very satisfied with the support team. All problem get solved in 24/7/365 Good for me :DI don't mean to insult you Tim but even when I was a complete newb I thought anyone who used xxxwebhosting were a complete idiot. $50 for a 15gb Virtual Plan! $5/gb overage! I pay 6 times less for my hosting and the support is second to none. There are always at least 3 support guys on ICQ 24/7. That bullshit some hosts give that they have high prices because their support is so impeccable is a joke. Don't be a sucker, all of the reputable Adult Hosts have second to none support so it boggles the mind why so many people still pay sky high prices. Tier 1 bandwidth no longer has to cost you your right arm.

LostMind
09-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Hosting is a tricky thing man.

When I first started, xxxwebhosting was the best (or close to it) and their pricing was pretty reasonable (cheap even).

Now, things have drastically changed. Yes, most of the major hosting companies have decent tech support now. But you'd be surprised at some of the mistakes those big players make.

Anyone can become a host nowadays - all it takes is a domain name, a website and a rented server from some cogent reseller for $50/month. As a webmaster you gotta be knowledgable about your host. Uptime is important.. speed is important.

If you guys are pushing to the asian market, I suggest you go with a host who has good peering with either global crossing or even verio. Global Crossing has the best latency to Japan I have ever seen (I checked it out myself when I went) and Verio wasnt bad except for some downtime when I was there. Verio is owned somehow by NTT, a Japanese telecom so their network is actually pretty nice in Japan.

ALOTI
09-13-2002, 12:06 AM
I use National-Net http://national-net.com/ and have not been dissappointed yet. In three years never been off line once. The Tech support is awesome. I have gotten on a first name basis with their support and can say I have even gotten some "favors" from them from time to time.

One particular incident I recall was when I first got the space. I fought for hours trying to upload. No Luck. I pumped off an email at 5 AM Eastern to N-N tech and about 15 mins later the phone rang. It was the president of the company, just checking things on his laptop at his kitchen table over coffee. He walked me through all the set up issues I had. Now that's service! :thumb:

mech
09-13-2002, 03:21 AM
Here is some food for thought... I just did a traceroute on xxxwebhosting.com & racksale.com and they both use cogent bandwidth. Rack Sale I can understand but with the prices XXX Webhosting charge it's even a bigger rip-off then I thought. :evil:

LostMind
09-13-2002, 03:30 AM
Hahaha, XXX uses cogent now? hahaha. that DOES crack me up :)

HD
09-13-2002, 04:20 AM
Here is good one, where 100asians.com hosted.
It's been for two years

http://www.dynamichosting.com/

Price is right, support is good.
And you might want to check this guy who made rb4, http://www.scriptkeeper.net/, he has deals like free rb4 if you host with him. You have to talk to run 42154853 and tell him HD send you.

Good luck!

Timothy
09-13-2002, 08:49 PM
This thread makes me think a lot :?

Okie now i have 2 dedicates. One is 3mbps at xxxwebhosting for the price around $1200, The second one is 4mbps at dynamic for the price around $800. (The price is monthly)

Comparing between these 2 about the service, xxxwebhosting has 5 service guys (4 reachable on icq) while dynamic has 2 (Chad and Jay, the owner, reachable on icq). And the result is xxxwebhosting solved every problem in 24hours while dynamic used up to 4 days for the same problem. :(

My personal thought is xxxwebhosting is a bit slower and a lot more expensive. Do you guys think so? If i have a better price for the same support i will move. Please recommend me :D

mech
09-13-2002, 09:54 PM
This thread makes me think a lot :?

Okie now i have 2 dedicates. One is 3mbps at xxxwebhosting for the price around $1200, The second one is 4mbps at dynamic for the price around $800. (The price is monthly)

Comparing between these 2 about the service, xxxwebhosting has 5 service guys (4 reachable on icq) while dynamic has 2 (Chad and Jay, the owner, reachable on icq). And the result is xxxwebhosting solved every problem in 24hours while dynamic used up to 4 days for the same problem. :(

My personal thought is xxxwebhosting is a bit slower and a lot more expensive. Do you guys think so? If i have a better price for the same support i will move. Please recommend me :DYou need to talk with Eru. Unless I've misread many previous posts he's got a dedicated server with 10mbps and is only paying $500. In fact just recently I've found a few hosts who offer that price (Tier1 to boot).

Currently you're paying $2000 for 7mbps. That's $285/mbps, you should be paying no more then $100/mbps. Quit bending over and taking it in the ass from your hosts, keep that cash for yourself.

But that's just my opinion, you need to do your own research. I don't want you taking my word then fucking your business up.

Lamp3y3
09-14-2002, 03:20 AM
These guys were recommended in another post.
http://www.racksale.com/deal.htm#
I plan on using them for my new website and galleries.
They look like the best deal around.

sounds good but what about the overage? couldnt find it anywhere

Lamp3y3
09-14-2002, 03:32 AM
http://www.phatservers.net/shared.html - This is one of the better deals I've seen around. I'm very tempted to move to one of these plans myself but I've got a nice deal over at isprime and since I've had to switch hosts once before I know what a pain in the ass it is.

How can this be for semi dedicated? Its rather vague in its description and there is a * next to the price per gig and no footnote.

However, hosts are cheap nowadays with the economy so bad its rather odd being that i was paying 3 bux per gig then i started looking around and finding all these hosts for less than a buck per gig.

i bet that 4 people have to share that 320 gigs and overage is where they stick ya where it hurts. be carefull with sites that dont show you the fine print. :uhoh:

mech
09-14-2002, 04:54 AM
be carefull with sites that dont show you the fine print. :uhoh:If in doubt fire them an email. If still in doubt search the boards and see what others have to say.

In the case of Phat Servers nothing but good things are said. It's run by two reputable guys (E-van and Moose), and they use Tier1 bandwidth. At the very least they sound better then most.

Timothy
09-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Eru got a dedicated server with 10mbps and is only paying $500. In fact just recently I've found a few hosts who offer that price (Tier1 to boot).

Yesterday i went to dynamic and found the new special offer, 10mbps for $750, this is more expensive than what Eru got, but i think i will jump in. :D

Lamp3y3
09-14-2002, 08:47 PM
found this cleaning my inbox. dated aug31 from my host.

Very good read... i was suprised to notice that it disucsses that plan mentioned on a previous thread. :P http://www.phatservers.net/shared.html

Dear Valued Customer,

It has come to our attention that many of our competitors are
advertising deceptively low per GB rates, and that unfortunately, most of
you don't realize it. In this email, we hope to illustrate how such
deception is possible, and how to detect it.

First and foremost, when a company advertises a per GB rate, you must be
absolutely sure of the billing method they're using, even if it means
reading the tiny print at the bottom of their page or harassing a
salesperson. If this information is hard to find, or their salesperson
gives you a quick response and then changes the subject, it's pretty safe
to say that they're trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage.
If, however, you do find out exactly which billing method they're using,
remember this:

* The act of advertising a per GB rate while using a capped or 95%
billing method is extremely misleading and deceptive.*

// EXAMPLE: (an anonymous real world example :P)

320 GIGS of bandwidth (1 Mbps) 47 cents per gig!*
Only $150 per month!!!

//

In this example, the advertisement implies two different billing methods:

a) "47 cents per gig!" implies that they are using the average billing
method (the method that we use)
b) "1Mbps" implies that they are using either the capped or 95% billing
method

So, which billing method *are* they using? Well, after perusing
their site for a good 10 minutes, we couldn't find a specified billing
method, which as we mentioned earlier is a bad sign. It turns out that
they are capping their lines at 1Mbps and optionally offering the 95%
billing method. So, what does this mean?

In most cases, as in the one above, it means you'll have to multiply their
advertised "per GB" rate by 1.5-2, depending on your traffic patterns, in
order to adequately compare their rates to ours. In general terms, the
less your traffic fluctuates, the more value you'll get out of a capped or
95% plan, whereas the more your traffic fluctuates (as is the case with
tgp traffic), the less value you'll get out of them. Going back to our
example, given the fact that they are either using the capped or 95%
billing method, their true per GB rate could be as much as a whopping
94cents/GB! If, for example, you get posted to Hun and WS with any
regularity, you're going to be closer to 94cents/GB and possibly even
higher.

Specifically, on a capped plan you'll run the risk of your sites slowing
down during peak hours, which would of course introduce an intangible
amount of revenue loss (low listings on tgps, surfers unhappy with speed
and leaving your site, etc etc). On a 95% plan, you'll find it very
difficult to determine exactly how many GB of transfer you're allowed
to do without being forced to pay for a higher level of bandwidth. In
many cases, if a hosting company tells you that you'll be able to get X GB
out of any given 95% plan, it's pretty safe to divide that number by 1.5-2
to get something reasonably close to the true value. Thus, in the
example above, you'll only be able to use ~150GB in a month before your
sites slow down or you'll have to start paying for more :(.

Our per GB rates, on the other hand, are calculated using your
webalizer statistics, which is more or less equivalent to using an average
(50%) billing method. In practical terms, this means that you'll never
have to worry about your sites slowing down, and that you'll only pay for
what you use. Furthermore, your rate will never change and you'll know
exactly what you're getting, regardless of what your traffic patterns
look like.

With that said, capped plans in particular can be advantageous if your
traffic is relatively steady, you're willing to take the risk of your
site slowing down, or you want the security of knowing you'll never be
billed for overages. We do offer capped plans, and since we have access
to your traffic graphs, we're in a good position to advise you as to
whether or not such a plan would be beneficial to you. Overall though, if
you're doing tgp posting, which most of you are, we advise sticking with a
per GB plan.

So, the next time a friend or someone you know tells you they're getting
1/2 the per GB rate you are, hopefully this email will help you to prove
them wrong. If it really is a legitimate deal, then let us know and
we'll work something out :). If you have any further questions about
alternative hosting offers or billing methods, please contact us.

Thanks for your time, and expect some innovative improvements in network design and support services in the near future :).

HOPE IT HELPED :)

mech
09-14-2002, 09:15 PM
HOPE IT HELPED :)I'm sure it helped the TGP posters but that I am not and I don't think Tim is either. :) Thanks for posting it though... btw, what host sent you that?

mech
09-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Be cautious with Dynamic Hosting :evil: http://bbs.adultwebmasterinfo.com/showthread.php?threadid=31951&highlight=Dynamic+Hosting. When you've got that many detractors you must really be bad.

eru
09-14-2002, 11:41 PM
I use Like Whoa. They're great!

Two other hosts that I also reccomend: Choopa and ISPrime.

Timothy
09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Damn! This is the first time dynamic fucks me!

Look at this screen capture
http://www.schoolgirls-heaven.com/dynamic2.jpg

This is what dynamic send me to sign and fax back. Focus on the server spec, a lot different here!
http://www.schoolgirls-heaven.com/dynamic3.jpg

I'm cheated on the first day with them Haha :)

eru
09-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Bahahaha

Get at least 1GB of ram.

I could of got you a better deal at any of the three hosts I reccomended man. Could of saved you *at least* 250 a month.

mech
09-15-2002, 08:58 PM
You should have read the link I sent and heeded the warning. Good thing though is now you have a chance to escape, email them back and say you've changed your mind and for the love of God don't send that fax!

CrazyAL
09-15-2002, 10:47 PM
whats wrong with 10mbs at $750? Thats like 25 cents gig that's cheap ass if that's a good host....but 256 ram is pretty low, get some more ram then that.

CrazyAL
09-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Oh okay I see what mech is saying I read that post on AWI.

LostMind
09-16-2002, 10:04 PM
http://www.kogal69.com/216.187.80.4.117-day.gif

okay, this is an mrtg graph... for those that dont know, this graph shows the traffic a server pushes onto the internet (and onto your surfers pc)..

This server pushes a few sites.. a couple tgp's and a paysite and a few other things...

Notice how the graph has peaks and valleys? See how it spikes to almost 17mpbs? and has lows down to 4mbps? This is not unusual to see traffic patterns like this.

Based on 95th percentile billing, this server would have been charged for roughly 16 mbps.

On average sustained usage, the charge is for 6 mbps!

Based on Per GB throughput, the server did 1730 GB for the month of august.

Obviously, a capped line is not a good option for this client. If we put him on a 10mbps capped line, his sites would crawl to a halt during his peak periods - even though he only averages 6mbps!

If this client went to a cheap host at $100 per mbps who bills with 95th percentile, he would be charged $1600.

If this client was at a host charging $200 per mbps who bills with average sustained usage, he would be charged $1200

If this client was with a host charging $0.99 per GB, he would pay $1,712.70.

I guess the point is, your host should always go over their billing procedures with you. Dont think that all hosts are advertising the same thing. $100/mbps!!!! could end up costing you an arm and leg more then a host charging twice as much boys n girls.

</soapbox>

walter
09-17-2002, 12:03 AM
In other words, get it in black and white and understand what that black and white means.

It seems that a good cheap host is almost an oxymoron but there are actually a few out there. The problem is sifting through the chaff, or should I say shaft :lol:

If you put all your megs in one basket be prepared to have scrambled megs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

webgurl
09-17-2002, 04:17 AM
:shock:

This thread is so confusing??? HELP i need a HOST for my new TGP site.... and you guys are all giving me weird scary thoughts . Seems like every host co. is :evil:

LostMind
09-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Shouldn't be scary webgurl...

all we are saying is that when an offer seems to good to be true, make sure you know all the facts cuz those types of deals usually arent as good as they seem up front.

This is where I should spam my hosting but I wont :)

there are lots of good hosts out there. ask the hosts what networks they use, how they bill and how many people work for them. we run 65 servers with 4 people. anymore then about 25-30 servers per tech and support may be a little lame...

walter
09-17-2002, 08:14 AM
This thread is so confusing??? HELP i need a HOST for my new TGP site.... and you guys are all giving me weird scary thoughts . Seems like every host co. is :evil:

It's not at all scary. Just don't be intimidated into anything. If the deal sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

You have a whole foogie of people here that you can ask, and family rarely lets harm come to one of it's own.

maxbear
09-25-2002, 02:47 PM
I have an 10mbs unmetered server at rackshack.net. It cost me $425 per month only. But it's on Cogent line.

I can transfer up to 9.5mbs during peak hour. Plan to get another unmetered server and using Robin DNS to load balancing the servers.

LostMind
09-25-2002, 06:34 PM
depending on what you do with your sites, rackshack can be pretty decent. Of course, I have heard tons of horror stories regarding things like bad ram, dead hd's and so on.

But, if you know how to administrate a server, rackshack is nice and cheap. :)

nemesisr34
09-26-2002, 12:57 AM
i have a compaq p3 server at rackshack and pay around $140 a month. Had them for over 6 months now with no problem. You have to know your linux stuff if your gonna go with rackshacks unmanged servers.

LostMind
09-26-2002, 09:30 AM
Yup... only word of caution for people who actually are attempting to sell to asian surfers (like, people from Japan, not white boys who like asains :) ) is that anything on a cogent based host is slower shit in Japan and HongKong.

Of course, it seems most people are selling to white boys who like asians so its all good I suppose :)

Scuzz
09-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Can one or two of you hosting and bandwidth etc. Gurus please enlighten me on this "Cogent" thing everybody keeps mentioning?
I don't know much :( , and I really have no idea why their bandwidth would be shitty compared to whoever else is out there.
Thanx in advance.

ALOTI
09-26-2002, 01:27 PM
I second Scuzz's request. Many of us are happily building away and have no clue on many of the technical concerns. :shock:

LostMind
09-26-2002, 08:07 PM
hmmm, hard to put into simple terms.

basically cogent fucked up their bandwidth agreement with some major providers... this drama ended with Cogent traffic being denied access to certain networks and other networks regulating cogent traffic to the lowest priority (meaning it may or may not be allowed to travel across the network depending on many factors)... Also, cogents business model is flawed. They have gone thru like 4 or maybe 6 rounds of financing now - I cant remember. Basically means they are losing money like crazy.

you see - cogentco was originally supposed to be for ISP style access, so they signed agreements with the other major networks (att, uunet, etc I would guess) basically this contract said they get cheap ass bandwidth as long as the ratio of incoming to outgoing traffic coming from cogent and going across the other network was close to 50/50... which is what happens for ISP's.

However, Cogent was a huge hit with the online adult world, as most adult webmasters were having problems breaking into the market and getting trraffic. The only way to get traffic seemed to be through offering TGP surfers tons of free content but this was burning lots of bandwidth and costing lots of money (remember $3-5/gb days?)... people saw cogent offering 100mbps handoffs for like $3000 and went nuts - this was a way to make giving away free porn profitable (ok, I am generalising here as I have no idea what people where actually thinking :) ).

but in the end, what happened was cogents ratio of incoming to outgoing traffic dropped down to hosting company ratios - like 10/90 (thats what ours looks like... the surfers request for content is small and the content being sent to the surfer is quite a bit). due to networking wizardry, this screws over the networks cogent was dealing with in a bad way... o, these networks either denied cogent traffic access to their networks or regulated that traffic to lowest priority.

What cogent should have done if they wanted to get into the hosting scene is bought paid transit (different type of service then what they originally entered into) but that is much more expensive and then cogent wouldnt have been able to offer such cheap prices and bla blah bla.

Anyways, this is what I have been told, quite possibly tons of errors and ommissions in here. The long and short of it is that in some places of North America, cogent sites load very slow (but in most major cities it loads fast), in most of europe cogent sites load very slow and in the two asian countries I have been to, cogent sites load slower then shit. This is all due to peering agreements that are overutilised....

Well... I dunno how much that helped or confused. Basically Cogent does not have the SLA's with the other networks that force other networks to give priority to Cogent traffic... so it is hit and miss with Cogent.

Well, I need my coffee now. I probably should have wrote this after my coffee..

Scuzz
09-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Thanks Lostmind. That begins to clear it up a bit :?
Now, how do you tell if a hosting company is using Cogent or something else?
Do you have to do a traceroute , or is it a matter of guessing by speed, or what?

LostMind
09-27-2002, 01:55 AM
How do you tell? You ask them and then do a traceroute and check :)

Seriously, if a host lies to you about their network, they have big problems.

Cogent hosts can be totally legit - they are just selling a kia - and for some people, kia's are fine. But others prefer mercedes and still others prefer honda's. so cogent hosts have a place in hosting.

walter
10-19-2002, 08:52 PM
I find myself in the unenviable position of looking for a new host for all of my TGP sites.

I took someone’s advice from this board and started negotiations with Phatservers.net

Just to confirm their bandwidth I asked them to provide me with a couple of IPs to ping and tracert. Phatservers responded “Also you can ping and trace phatservers.net and phatservers.com to see our networks”

I did several tracert on phatservers.net with acceptable results.

I then did a tracert on phatservers.com and up comes Cogent

I have also been talking to several other hosts and they all seem to have Cogent somewhere in the tracert information.

Can someone please recommend a host that does not use Cogent but is still in the same ballpark with the likes of Phatservers

mech
10-19-2002, 09:37 PM
Can someone please recommend a host that does not use Cogent but is still in the same ballpark with the likes of PhatserversIsprime = great support, teir1 bandwidth, & always willing to work out a killer deal (Ignore their listed prices and talk directly with Sales).

eru
10-19-2002, 10:59 PM
LikeWhoa doesn't use cogent. Talk to Stan or Frank and tell them for the eru special (tell them I sent you).

tracert likewhoa.com and see for yourself.

mech
10-19-2002, 11:22 PM
LikeWhoa doesn't use cogent. Talk to Stan or Frank and tell them for the eru special (tell them I sent you).

tracert likewhoa.com and see for yourself.
http://www.samspade.org/t/trace?a=likewhoa.com
3 130.152.180.21 2.652 ms isi-1-lngw2-atm.ln.net [AS226] Los Nettos origin AS
4 66.28.28.33 8.488 ms f1.ba01.b000899-0.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
5 66.28.6.241 3.767 ms g3-4.core01.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
6 66.28.4.74 15.345 ms p14-0.core01.sjc01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
7 66.28.4.93 16.045 ms p4-0.core01.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
8 66.28.4.70 16.241 ms p15-0.core02.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
9 66.28.4.150 16.748 ms p6-0.core03.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (DNS error) [AS16631] Unknown
10 198.32.200.96 16.054 ms mae-west-atm1.wcg.net (DNS error)
11 64.200.240.93 86.619 ms chcgil1wcx3-oc48.wcg.net (DNS error) [AS7911] Williams Communications, Inc
12 64.200.240.38 87.393 ms nycmny2wcx3-oc48.wcg.net (DNS error) [AS7911] Williams Communications, Inc
13 64.200.87.229 88.614 ms nycmny2wcx2-pos10-0.wcg.net (DNS error) [AS7911] Williams Communications, Inc
14 65.77.98.30 87.025 ms nycmny1wcx2-pos4-0.wcg.net (DNS error)
15 64.200.86.210 86.111 ms nycmny2wcx1-yipes-pos.wcg.net (DNS error) [AS7911] Williams Communications, Inc
16 66.7.129.254 87.659 ms g1-7.core1.nyc1.likewhoa.net [AS18633/AS6517] Unknown / Yipes Communications Inc.
17 66.181.170.170 89.409 ms ns2.likewhoa.com [AS11846/AS21790] Infohouse / Like Whoa Networks

:| :? :) :D :lol:

CrazyAL
10-19-2002, 11:29 PM
oh boy :lol:

Scuzz
10-20-2002, 01:04 AM
You could take a look at:
http://www.datahosters.net
http://www.racksale.com
Good luck on the hunt.
There's so many choices out there.
I've noticed that on the GFY boards, if you mention you're looking for hosting,