PDA

View Full Version : why does my traffic suck?

walter
09-09-2002, 09:35 AM
In mid-July I moved my servers and since then I have watched my traffic go down the toilet with a BIG flush. :cry:

We're not talking a 10% or a 15% drop here, but rather a drop from 260k to 50k.

Do my sites suck :?:

I can't figure it out - any input will be more than welcome (even the bad stuff)

take a look at http://asia-uncensored.com/

and if you can bear the spam, start some trades at http://198.77.36.37/wm/index.html

I need good reliable traffic very badly

eru
09-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Who do you host with now?

Also, how many hits does Asia-Uncesoerd get a day? Maybe I will start submitting to it :))

Edgey
09-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Could be your new host? Not tracking all your 'in' hits. Or it could be your script ? Could be many of things..

walter
09-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Who do you host with now?

A small host called Diva - same host just moved the servers from Seattle to Tampa

Also, how many hits does Asia-Uncesoerd get a day? Maybe I will start submitting to it :))

Before mid-July 90 to 100k
After mid-July 35 to 40k

I have 16 niche sites and you can post to any of them.
If you want to submit there is about a 10 day wait (we get about 6000 galleries per day for all the sites) http://198.77.36.37/wm/index.html
If the galleries are clean I can put you on AutoPost which bypasses any wait and puts the galleries into rotation immediatly.

walter
09-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Could be your new host? Not tracking all your 'in' hits. Or it could be your script ? Could be many of things..

Same host - same servers - same scripts - I just moved everything lock, stock and barrel.

I have watched our trade (EdgeX-AsiaUncensored) drop from about 900 to about 200 per day

Edgey
09-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Ya our trade is actually a little worst now.. How is your productivity on your site? Are people clicking on your links? Or are they just going to other peoples sites? That could also be a problem too.. If your surfers are not clicking on your galleries then you can't generate much of a trade with other people.. Think productivity on your site first then other peoples productivity..

walter
09-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Ya our trade is actually a little worst now.. How is your productivity on your site? Are people clicking on your links? Or are they just going to other peoples sites? That could also be a problem too.. If your surfers are not clicking on your galleries then you can't generate much of a trade with other people.. Think productivity on your site first then other peoples productivity..

At this moment here are the stats: 128RawIn 98UniqueIn 178out 63clicks

Impressed yet? (lol) :cry:

eru
09-09-2002, 10:17 AM

At this moment here are the stats: 128RawIn 98UniqueIn 178out 63clicks

Impressed yet? (lol) :cry:

You Got Mail.

Edgey
09-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Try redesigning your site.. See, i also noticed that if productivity is low across the board, its not the sites who sends you the hits, its the site that we own.. Before edge-x's productivity sucked ass less then 100% pro for every site who sent traffic to me.. Then i redesigned it.. and it went from 100% - 400%.. Which was good enough to grow.. If i want it higher i'd probably move the listing section up on the list.. or skim less.. So the surfers actually see more gallery then link trades.. Think about it, if you were a surfer every third link you click on you see a another site, i would leave too wouldn't you?

Edgey
09-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Heres the bottom line. Make the most out of the 1 surfer that comes to your site.. Don't jerk him around, and treat him with respect. Then that 1 surfer will help you out in the long run..

walter
09-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Heres the bottom line. Make the most out of the 1 surfer that comes to your site.. Don't jerk him around, and treat him with respect. Then that 1 surfer will help you out in the long run..

Will do - I am redesigning as we speak :D

mech
09-09-2002, 11:00 AM
If the only thing that has changed between mid-July and now was your server then I think it's a pretty safe bet to conclude that, that is where your traffic problems lie. Maybe you should consider switching to a more reputable host?

On an unrelated (or perhaps related) topic, why is your Digital Wizardry site located at an IP address? That's quite unprofessional, you really should point it towards a Domain... or is this a problem with your host? Could your traffic whoa be caused by unresolved domain names/host?

walter
09-09-2002, 12:01 PM
If the only thing that has changed between mid-July and now was your server then I think it's a pretty safe bet to conclude that, that is where your traffic problems lie. Maybe you should consider switching to a more reputable host?

More reputable? I own a hunk of it :D Can anything be MORE reputable lol

On an unrelated (or perhaps related) topic, why is your Digital Wizardry site located at an IP address? That's quite unprofessional, you really should point it towards a Domain... or is this a problem with your host? Could your traffic whoa be caused by unresolved domain names/host?

DWI goes to an IP because of the blocking scripts for Gallery Rotation system and it can't be done using an IP (or says my script wizard)
Also, using an IP speeds up the delivery of the galleries (several milli seconds) because it doesn't have to go through the lookup tables.

Now, does my tag look a bit more professional :?:
but you still have to use the IP to get the Gallery Rotation to work. :)

Scuzz
09-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Hmmm...
I know why! You never post my galleries. :evil:
Seriously though, one thing I noticed with Asia uncensored, is the full screen force.
I hate that, and I know a lot of other surfers do too. I keep my screen resolution at 1024X768,
and I run a double width desktop on 2 monitors. There's nothing I hate worse than having some guy
decide for me that I want his site full screen on my left hand monitor. When I run into sites like that,
I leave as fast as possible meanwhile checking for popunders and whatever other sneaky tricks may
have happened while his main site occupied my screen.
I find I just don't trust sites that force me to do something.
I'm a human too dammit! :roll: If I can't have it my way, I leave.
Perhaps there's a bunch of other weirdos like me out there?
Of course, my buddy Niterider always does everything fullscreen on his own machines and it drives me nuts. :nut: He'd never notice.

Each to his own, I suppose, but it's just a suggestion.

Scuzz
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
6000 galleries a day? :uhoh: that's 375/site.
Most of yer time must be taken up with deleting duplicates,
and banning idiots! Might be an idea to go straight "trusted"
submitters and forget the rest!
75 trusted guys/site would mean about 1200 galleries a day
All you would have to do then is spot check your own sites
and give the bozos who start dickin' you around shit!

walter
09-09-2002, 01:03 PM
I know why! You never post my galleries.

So, let's correct that :lol: What's the base domain and directory of your galleries and I'll add it

one thing I noticed with Asia uncensored, is the full screen force.

I see your point. Since my sites are all designed for 1024x768 how would I keep my sites from going full screen on your setup but still show up in 1024x768 or less?
Here's my Java....

<script>
if (top.location != location) top.location.href = location.href;
self.moveTo(0,0)
self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight )
setInterval("x()",10);
function x(){window.status="ASIA UNCENSORED - Add us to your favorites NOW!"}
</script>

walter
09-09-2002, 01:13 PM
6000 galleries a day? :uhoh: that's 375/site.
Most of yer time must be taken up with deleting duplicates,
and banning idiots! Might be an idea to go straight "trusted"
submitters and forget the rest!
75 trusted guys/site would mean about 1200 galleries a day
All you would have to do then is spot check your own sites
and give the bozos who start dickin' you around shit!

Actually the 6000 submissions a day are divided among 34 niche sectors so it's only about 175 per niche per day.
Once the garbage is removed, at least 50%, that leaves a fair number of new galleries daily in each niche.

I have 3 people that work part time and all they do is galleries. Between the 3 of them they get 6000 to 7000 galleries sorted just about every day.

The AutoPosters I have are quite good but I still kill 1 or 2 a week for screwing around.

I am always open to AutoPosters - all anyone has to do is ask and if their galleries are any good they get the privs.

Scuzz
09-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Hi Walter...
What on earth are you doing up at this hour of the night?
Don't you listen to our young friends Eru and Webgurl?
We shoulda been asleep hours ago :mrgreen: I'll grab the canes, and you supply the Maalox.
I'll PM you about the domain and gallery stuff.

Just dump the whole script.
if you go to http://www.titsee.com , you'll see that it just does what the surfer wants.
If you have a small window that you're using, it'll open in the same size.
If the surfer want's it bigger, he can resize his own window.
I just checked, and titsee is built to fit 860xwhatever. It works fine in 1024x768, but any smaller than
860 and the surfer misses some of the ads on the right.
Kikos site is built for 640x480, so there's a lot of blank space on the right.
Oh, well, I'd rather keep the surfer than force him into something he never asked for.
(I'll save that for 404 pages and popups :twisted: )
The other thing is, if a surfer is forced to go to fullscreen, he has to resize the next window he opens
because explorer will open in the last size used.
That's the one that really gets me. I go to your site, and every site after that opens in the size that YOU forced me to use!
Hope that makes sense.

walter
09-09-2002, 01:39 PM
What on earth are you doing up at this hour of the night?

check my location - San Raphael France - right on the beach. :D
Its 14:15 right now, that's the heat of the day, and I am just about to grab the wife for our afternoon walk on the beach - gotta keep up that tan.

Just dump the whole script.
if you go to http://www.titsee.com , you'll see that it just does what the surfer wants.
If you have a small window that you're using, it'll open in the same size.
If the surfer want's it bigger, he can resize his own window.
I just checked, and titsee is built to fit 860xwhatever. It works fine in 1024x768, but any smaller than
860 and the surfer misses some of the ads on the right.
Kikos site is built for 640x480, so there's a lot of blank space on the right.
Oh, well, I'd rather keep the surfer than force him into something he never asked for.
(I'll save that for 404 pages and popups :twisted: )
The other thing is, if a surfer is forced to go to fullscreen, he has to resize the next window he opens
because explorer will open in the last size used.
That's the one that really gets me. I go to your site, and every site after that opens in the size that YOU forced me to use!
Hope that makes sense.

I will work on the script later today - thanks

mech
09-09-2002, 09:05 PM
More reputable? I own a hunk of it :D Can anything be MORE reputable lol I don't know, I still don't trust them :lol: .

Now, does my tag look a bit more professional :?:
but you still have to use the IP to get the Gallery Rotation to work. :)It really doesn't matter what address is used to access the rotation, it's your site that makes the impression. Now it does look more professional and easier to remember. Now the people who forget to bookmark it can type it in.