PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Old Days what was Cool ??

webgurl
09-06-2002, 07:16 AM
i was an 80's child so i can remember stuff like........
Hyper Color,Chip and Pepper shirts, Flourescent colors, gem gem truly truly outrageous OoooH (gem and the holograms) , misfits were the rockers, Rainbow bright, oh and the huge stationwagon cars that look like they were made out of wood, smurfs, madonna, michael jackson as a black guy, Goonies, breakfast club movie, Lost Boys, side bangs with lots of hairspray, waterbeds, slouchie socks
hmmm there are too many boyz in this forum can't relate too many girly stuff.

mech
09-06-2002, 07:28 AM
:shock: Oh crap! If everything you mentioned was girly stuff then excuse me while I throw out my Thriller LP, Goonies DVD, and my collection of Acid Wash Jeans. I've got some Football to watch!

mushu
09-06-2002, 08:19 AM
michael jackson as a black guy

:shock:...huh... Michael Jackson was black?

eru
09-06-2002, 08:40 AM
I was sort of an 80's child. 80's is my favorite decade though -- so much cool happened then. If it wasn't for modern technology and hot girls, then i'd wish I was back in the 80's now :)

I was born in 84 (best year ever as this was the peak of the 80's). I lived through the metal of the mid 80's, survived the hair band craze of the summer of '87, and even witnessed the birth of mainstream rap.

I was absent though for the original release of E.T., Return of the Jedi, the end of Journey, and many other things as the early 80's was where it was all at. Late 80's = mainstream but STILL KILLER!

webgurl
09-06-2002, 08:46 AM
hot diggity dam ERU born in 84 ??
Are you legal to be doing this kind of work? Or even old enough to be viewing it? haha jokes

mech
09-06-2002, 09:02 AM
I was absent though for the original release of E.T., Return of the Jedi, the end of Journey...Don't lament, rejoice! That's the kind of list that makes me wish I hadn't been born yet. :P

eru
09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
hot diggity dam ERU born in 84 ??
Are you legal to be doing this kind of work? Or even old enough to be viewing it? haha jokes

I started working on this biz the night of my 18th birthday. I researched before extensively.

Austin
09-06-2002, 11:13 AM
I still got my super-bell bottom jeans and my platform shoes.
Let's disco down!

Scuzz
09-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Atta boy ERU...Nice to see some ambition! :thumb:

I've stiil got my old blue jeans w/embroidery on the legs that I wore to the first Donovan concert in Vancouver.

Not only that, but I had dinner with the girl that did the embroidery, 2 days ago. :)

ALOTI
09-06-2002, 12:57 PM
Ah!!! Donovan, a tie-dyed nehru jacket, Mellow Yellow and where's that twinkie :nut:

Scuzz
09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Somehow, "twinkie" seems to have taken on a slightly different meaning these days. :D
Don't mind me...I drank too much tonight.
I made the mistake of leaving the house for a couple hours.
Some Asshole came in and stole all my change. About $500 worth.
I don't spend change, I try to pile it up so I can buy some sort of toy.
This prick took a tobacco can full, and a really nice wicker basket
(also full) which a sweet friend of mine gave me. :pissed:
Took some beer too, but left me enough to drown my sorrows, which I'm nearly finished doing.

CrazyAL
09-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Damn you for reals Scuzz? Don't you have a pit bull?

Scuzz
09-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Last post. Finished drowning my sorrows. (well, at least I'm out of beer :pissed:
Yeah, Al ...I have a "staffordshire terrier" We don't call them pit bulls, because it scares people.
Problem is, She's a sweetie, and she 's always with me. Guard dogs aren't much good when
they're not where they can guard stuff.
I did notice, however that she never reacted in any way when we got home, which leads me to believe there were no unfamiliar smells in the house.
Had to be someone she knows. Great, that means a friend or neighbour ripped me off. :uhoh:
I'll get over it. :P
Once someone DIES! :pissed:
Let's all pretend that the piece of rope in her mouth in the current avatar, is some guys dick!

ALOTI
09-07-2002, 02:12 AM
Sorry to hear that Scuzz. :( . I wish you were closer, I drop a six or two by!

Lamp3y3
09-07-2002, 06:08 AM
Ok i admit it i owned a pair of parachute pants in my time 8) :roll:

walter
09-08-2002, 08:44 PM
I go back to the days when a Yo was half of a toy and a Ho was something that you used in the garden.

When I was a kid we 'lifted' KitKat bars from the local smokeshop, now kids shoot you for your new running shoes.

What the hell happened to common decency and respect?

eru
09-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I go back to the days when a Yo was half of a toy and a Ho was something that you used in the garden.

When I was a kid we 'lifted' KitKat bars from the local smokeshop, now kids shoot you for your new running shoes.

What the hell happened to common decency and respect?

you're old :P

walter
09-08-2002, 09:54 PM

i'm not getting older i'm getting better :D

being over 50 ain't all that bad - i can still party with the best and rock 'n roll all night long :P

eru
09-08-2002, 11:42 PM

i'm not getting older i'm getting better :D

being over 50 ain't all that bad - i can still party with the best and rock 'n roll all night long :P

lol -- you're like almost my dad's age hehehehehe

ALOTI
09-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Not to worry Walter, We "elder" members can stick together! :thumb:

Scuzz
09-09-2002, 04:05 AM
Them young whipper-snappers these days!
No respect fer their elders.

webgurl
09-09-2002, 06:13 AM
hey you guys get senior discounts ?? :)

ALOTI
09-09-2002, 06:48 AM
Hehehehehe! Make me an offer! :wink: :lol:

walter
09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
you can look back at it all and smile because you see the young pups making the mistakes today that you made many years ago.

My oldest mistake, who is now 35, presented me with a grandson 4 years ago.

My second biggest mistake was getting into the computer business in 1972, and how many of you were even around in '72 :D

Life is a party, it's not how long you have been at the party, it's how you handle the drinks (or whatever) :lol:

ALOTI
09-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Hey, why did you have to remind me of the days of Key Punch and 48k memory being a big deal. I learned basic on an old Apple IIe and thought my Lisa was the best ever! :shock:

I find it funny, how "back then" you could run an app off an 8" floppy period. I never thought I would see the day where if one of my systems' 20 gig drives screws up, I just grab a back-up off the shelf mirror the system back on off CD and trash the old one. Hell it wasn't too long ago a 10 meg HD and an IBM AT were the leading edge! Today it almost cheaper to buy a new printer when the ink carts run out. Ever fight with an IBM laserjet to beat the firmware Hexi code to print a full page (B&W) 300dpi graphic. That was fun.

Here's one for everybody. Ever hear of the "Inovion Profession Graphics System"? It was an Apple driven video capture system and one of the first attempts at desktop publishing. It used a standard home video camera for captures and a tractor fed thermal printer to produce "Quality 600 dpi (color even - wow!) Presentations for your clients". Cheap too. We paid a mere $40k ( :nut: )in '84 for an Alpha system to "evaluate". (I think it is a planter base or a Sea Anchor somewhere now) Damn, I still have my old copies of Aldus Pagemaker, Ventura Publisher and a Laserjet publishing add-on of LaserMaster laying around somewhere. Hmm, the Smithsonian is only a mile away...

Okay, date yourselves if you wish. What was the first system anybody worked on? This could be interesting and humorous.

Yep I remember... :shock: But it was sure fun.

walter
09-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Okay, date yourselves if you wish. What was the first system anybody worked on?

You had to do this :lol:

The first computer I owned (as in personally) was an IMSAI 8080 - no keyboard, no storage device, no monitor - just 9 switches on the front panel. I could do so much with this box! I wrote a security system for my house on this.

The first IBM Personal Computer I bought (the father of the PC) set me back $5600 for an 8088 processor, 256k ram, a bluescreen monitor and a cassette drive. 180k floppy drives were too expensive and you couldn't buy diskettes anywhere.

The first hard drive I bought was a Seagate 5 MB (that's megabytes) which set me back about $800 back in '81 or so. I was in seventh heaven. I had to patch the BIOS and the operating system to get it to run.

The first computer I worked on professionally (in '72) was a Honeywell mainframe with a bank of 12 tape drives and 16K of memory. You could actually multitask a basic word processor and a data analyzer. I did trajectory extrapolations on this thing.

Scuzz
09-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Jeez! It obviously took me a lot longer to get into computers. I started with a trs-80 w/2 floppies, and a commodore vic 20.
Graduated to an Atari 520, and then started getting into harddrives.
I remember setting up a scanner for my Atari.
There was a little power supply, a board the size of a matchbox, and a piece of fiber optic cable. You taped the cable to your printer head, spent a year adjusting it, and put a black and white picture in the printer. You turned on the scan program, and the printer program, (after taking out the ribbon) and the print head would slide slowly back and forth. The fiber optic would pick up the light and dark areas, and transfer it to the scan program. After about half an hour, you'd get a nice blurry image that looked pretty much like what you started with. Yay!
The wonders of technology. :roll: