PDA

View Full Version : ONCO Virus of some sort..

Edgey
08-18-2002, 08:28 AM
I think I have a virus, I can't open up any programs what so ever. it says Windows cannot find onco. This program is needed for opening files of type 'Application' someone help! I was in the middle of chatting on ICQ with Scuzz i think and i reseted my computer and nothing worked I'm sorry i didn't get back to you scuzz.... Ack! What should i do? I'm doomed... The last thing i did was opening an email up and it did some sort of popup on me.. Couldn't do nothing... Anyone know a fix for this?

Edgey Boy

I'm suprised my IE still works at the moment..

JACK
08-18-2002, 10:08 AM
JACK is here to save the day :-)

I need some more background INFO did your computer crash just before you had this problem? How many days has you computer been running since you last install your OS?
Do you have a copy of Nortonís Utilityís? What OS are you running? Have you installed any new soft in the last 10 times you turned on your computer?

Edgey
08-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Well, Win 98 is very unstable, it crashes all the time.. I reboot my system plenty of times before this happened.. No i haven't installed any new software, however, every time i open my email box i get a crap load of bulk email that automatically opens up.. Which is really odd, I always thought those emails were virus's.. But they really did no harm. Until yesterday night.. one opened, froze my computer, i rebooted. Then next thing i know i can't open crap all.. ICQ is dead, Cute FTP is dead, all application has errors on it.. argh.. I'm probably going to format the system and install xp on in 5 mins.. XP actually warns me if i want the javascript ran on the email. So i probably wouldn't have this problem again. The computer i'm using now is perfectly fine with xp onboard. Ah well that system needed formating anyways.. :)

Edgey Boy

JACK
08-18-2002, 05:04 PM
Edgey Boy

K NP if you want to keep you OS E-mail and Iíll send you want you need to do so, you do not have a virus so no worryís there every time you donít shout down your computer properly you case problems.

Just so you know XP is a worst OP then ME was if you have to go XP for some reason go to the Pro version, These three Os best all other OS by at lest a 46 point spread Win 98 SE Win 2k and Redhat Linux witch will be replacing Window OS in the next 2 Ė 3 years.

Hacker love XP since the encryption pass files are the samefor every box they can pull then and Decrypt them any where.

If you good to XP pro make sure you do all your updates first before you do your patches your you may run in to big problems later on, and know matter how you look at it you will be losing a lot of soft

Edgey
08-18-2002, 06:07 PM
So the problem isn't a virus, its the fact i don't shut down properly? Its kinda hard to shut down properly when 98 keeps freezing up on me.. hehe.. I guess its all microsofts fault.. :) I have the corporate edition of xp.. is that any good compared to the 98 2nd edition? I find 98 much quicker thats why i like it compared to XP.. The funny thing is i can't run nothing right now cept for my internet explorer which is really wierd..

BTW thanks for you help Jack.. :)

JACK
08-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Hi-Low Edgey boy,

Nope it not a virus it because you have crashed to many time it cause problems :-) Nortons can fix every thing for you :-) Iíll pop it up on my server and you can down load it, you can from your desktop or you can burn it to CD and ruin it.
Start it up then got launch from CD then run Win Doctor wait about 10 min then click next then I the top right chick fix all.
Restart your computer and your back up and running.

If you have to go XP corporate edition is the way to go but it best to go with the full version and not the upgrade.

If your finding 98 much quicker the XP that is because XP have a lot higher requirements and you just donít have the CPU speed also I wonít using less then 256 RAM with XP

If you take a look at XP youíll see they just copied there whole new look from Linux but they havenít worked out the bugs where Linux has.

leo
08-19-2002, 01:43 AM
why dont you just reinstall windows98. simple as that and it only takes about 30 mins. it will install any missing or corrupted files

JACK
08-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Do you mean do a recovery or a fresh reinstall of Win 98? You could just do a fresh reinstall that would solve the problem but you would lose every thing you have save on you drives. Doing a windows recovery would give you a short term fix so you can back up every thing on to CD but Iím sure your CD burner still works. Recovery does not fix file drift, broken links or any other the other problems all it does is rewrites over all you windows files in your windows folder.

ecchi mecha
08-19-2002, 07:59 AM
format c: ...I love it so much....!!

but, than again, I ghosted my disk, so what does it matter ;-)

boot disk -> fdisk -> remove and replace -> format c: -> reinstall

Edgey
08-19-2002, 04:33 PM
I formated my disk yesterday.. all is fine now.. I find my system is very unstable, go figure its an ibm.. err..