PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime or Windows Media?

CrazyAL
08-14-2002, 04:45 AM
What do you think is better and preferred by surfers/members? Just trying to figure out what everyone prefers, right now I stream my movies in QuickTime, I find a lot easier to work with but I think members may prefer windows media over quick time........any feed back would be appreciated :)

eru
08-14-2002, 01:55 PM
DivX DiVX DiVX -- it's what I use and my member's never complain :)

mech
08-14-2002, 08:50 PM
I'd say Mpeg or Divx but from the options you gave I'd go with windows media. Streaming QuickTime is one of the all-time worst formats I've come across, as horrible is Vivo if anyone remembers it from way back when.

CrazyAL
08-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Cool thanks for the feed back, I think I may go with both then.

maxbear
08-14-2002, 11:58 PM
I would say Windows media. But if you use windows media, you need a windows server. Also, did you have a look of Real9? The quality is pretty good.

Scuzz
08-15-2002, 01:57 AM
I just read somewhere that Winamp is going to start supporting video as well.
That may be worth looking into.
Or not. :?

eru
08-15-2002, 07:15 AM
I'd say Mpeg or Divx but from the options you gave I'd go with windows media. Streaming QuickTime is one of the all-time worst formats I've come across, as horrible is Vivo if anyone remembers it from way back when.

Speaking of VIVO, I still have a movie encoded in it --> do you know of any way I can encode it into a newer format?

CrazyAL
08-15-2002, 07:40 AM
well I am now offering windows all almost all my movies...........figure give them a couple options. Does anyone know how to force .asf to open into the media player instead of loading on the side in IE.....the side thing doesn't seem to load my videos :( most my media is in wmv format bbut I have a couple in asf..........guess I will just switch it to wmv

japan-one
08-17-2002, 09:00 PM

Speaking of VIVO, I still have a movie encoded in it --> do you know of any way I can encode it into a newer format?

Well, if it's something you can't live without, you can live capture it. There is a software called Camtasia from Snagit.com which does just that. I have tried it with RM format and got pretty good result. The trick is not to compress the video while capturing. Make sure you got arces of harddisk realestate, a CPU on steroids, video card not in hardware accelaration and of course, the dusty VIVO player somewhere in your computer... :wink:

..... if it's something you absolutely cannot live without .....

Timothy
08-17-2002, 09:58 PM
It's hard to say but some of surfers who are not using MS windows, like linux, cannot play windows media :(

Perhaps, MPEG is the best.