PDA

View Full Version : Making money off traffic

jaxon121
08-13-2002, 06:00 AM
Hi all,

as you may know I'm a relative newbie to the asian webmaster scene, and I was hoping some of you veterans could help me out here. My site has been generating what i'd consider pretty considerable traffic, and I want to know the best way to turn that traffic into money.

I've heard of ad sponsorships that pay "per impression" - that is, they pay a certain amount every time an ad is downloaded on a page (as opposed to "per click" or "click-thru" payment). Anyone know how we can get started with something like this? Any good referrals to a service that does this?

Here are a few site stats from the last two weeks of July 2002:
Total Pages:
Avg. Hits per Day: 640,422
Avg. Files per Day: 456,393
Avg. Pages per Day: 131,326
Avg. KBytes per Day: 5,480,878

Are these numbers high enough for us to generate income through traffic trading, banner ads, etc.?

What we DON'T want to do is totally sell out and send our users thru endless banners, pop-ups, dirty tricks, etc. Till now our site has been 100% clean with ZERO ads. We're willing to change that, but only if it's clean, honest, and worth it.

So... any help/advice from you pros out there??

steve v2
08-13-2002, 06:28 AM
hi jaxon121,

nice going on your site...it looks to me like you are pumping out a lot of traffic.

just a note..."hits" is really meaningless...if you got 10 images on your page and 10 visitors, that is 100 hits. or 5 visitors visiting a page with 10 images twice each is 100 hits.

try to get a handle on your uniques...generally it is a pretty set percentage of your hits...I found it was 10%, but it depends on how many graphics you have, how deep your site it, etc...

not to say what is good or bad...some sites get hit once per visitor and some sites get hit 300 times per visitior, since each hit is a file sent by the server...an html file or a graphic file, etc.

Steve

steve v2
08-13-2002, 06:45 AM
another cute trick (while I'm at it) is search your server logs for a file called "favicon.ico" ... maybe divide this number by .80 to give you a rough idea of how many people are bookmarking your site each day ;-)

Scuzz
08-13-2002, 09:17 AM
You could try installing a counter like
http://www.megatracker.com
That'll give you uniques, operating systems, countries, broowsers, and all kinds of satats. A lot faster than server stats work too.
As far as "per impression" is concerned, the only 2 I'm aware of are
Offshore clicks and Moneytree.
Moneytree is those goddam noisy ads that everybody hates. They only pay $.40 / K as well.
Offshore clicks pays $3.00/k, but it's an exit console with a chain of popups.
There are a couple of per impression advertisers left on the non-adult side, but they won't have anything to do with Adult stuff.
If you want to keep your site clean, I don't think you're gonna be able to use that type of advertising.
If anybody can show me wrong, please do! I've got 100K a day on my galleries I'd like to collect on!

steve v2
08-13-2002, 06:22 PM
hey jaxon121,

there is a saying "make the first for yourself and the rest to make money". if you got original content, why not just keep your site clean and maybe add a members area...so you can have a cool site with lots of samples and also a small paysite.

then you can just make a boatload of other sites...you can link out from your main site, and link in from your other sites...and you can do whatever you please on your other sites and still keep your main site clean :twisted:

mech
08-13-2002, 09:27 PM
It's not worth it to sell your traffic, if it's worth money to someone buying it then it's definitely worth keeping for yourself and converting?

jaxon121
08-13-2002, 09:37 PM
first, thanks to all for the input and advice!

steve, we already have a members' area =) and 97% of our content is original stuff which we own exclusively. The idea of making more sites is intriguing, though.

mech, what do you mean by converting?

Scuzz, that answers my main question! thanks!!

To all: let's put it this way: how do YOU turn raw traffic into cash?

CrazyAL
08-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Well I am not sure what your wanting.......but your site is a paysite I don't see why you would want to give any options to buy anything else, I would just use a exit for extra cash (maybe this is what u mean) to make sure you don't give your surfers an option to buy anything else besides what your selling. This is just my opinion :)

mech
08-14-2002, 08:55 PM
What I meant by converting was sending that traffic to a pay-per-signup or rev-share sponsor of sending them to your own join/upsell page.

Mikey
08-15-2002, 05:59 PM
if you already have a members area, there is no need to sell them to another site, just concentrate on selling memberships. most other programs, per click, etc. will just piss them off. besides if they are paying for access to your site, they might not like being upsold.

ecchi mecha
08-19-2002, 07:01 AM
Here are a few site stats from the last two weeks of July 2002:
Total Pages:
Avg. Hits per Day: 640,422
Avg. Files per Day: 456,393
Avg. Pages per Day: 131,326
Avg. KBytes per Day: 5,480,878

so...what's your uniques per day?

jaxon121
08-19-2002, 11:50 PM
Everyone's asking about "uniques," but to be honest I'm a bit confused. Unique WHATS? As far as I know, what your stats consider "uniques" depends heavily on the criteria your web analyzer is using... so it's virtually impossible to tell EXACTLY how many "unique" visitors, sessions, etc. you're getting. Could someone please clarify?

Anyway, here are a few more stats from the same 14-day period in July:

Total Unique Sites: 195,086
Total Unique URLs: 6,401
Total Unique Referrers: 6,759
Total Unique User Agents: 12,186

Mikey
08-20-2002, 05:17 PM
simply, uniques are different visitors to your site. so if your site had 6,401 uniques over 14 days you only had like 457 different people visit your site.

hits are different, a unique visitor can register many hits on your site. for example, say you had a page with 15 thumbnail pics leading to a big pic. each time the surfer clicked on a thumbnail to go to the big pic, that is a hit and when he goes back to the thumbnail page that is also a hit, so a 15 pic gallery can register like 45 hits back and forth.

jaxon121
08-20-2002, 10:30 PM
simply, uniques are different visitors to your site. so if your site had 6,401 uniques over 14 days you only had like 457 different people visit your site.

How exactly do you figure this? Did you mean 457 per day? Surely those 457 people did not visit our site once a day for 14 straight days? Or am I grossly misinterpreting?

hits are different, a unique visitor can register many hits on your site. for example, say you had a page with 15 thumbnail pics leading to a big pic. each time the surfer clicked on a thumbnail to go to the big pic, that is a hit and when he goes back to the thumbnail page that is also a hit, so a 15 pic gallery can register like 45 hits back and forth.

Yup I do understand what the raw "hits" number means. Actually, our hit count is greatly deflated compared to most sites since I use Flash throughout. A navigation layout that would use a dozen or more traditional image files, for instance, is contained within a single Flash file. Our non-tgp galleries contain up to 31 thumbnails in a single Flash file. So accessing a gallery page only generates 2 file hits, as opposed to 32!

What I was pointing out earlier is that one's "unique" numbers could mean almost anything, depending on what your log analyzer is using for criteria. Is a "session" 10 minutes or 30 or 120? How does it deal with an IP 20 visitors could be coming from, or 20 IP's that a single user might come from? etc. etc... "Uniques" seem to be much like any other statistic. You could come up with almost any kind of number by playing with the criteria that produce it.

ecchi mecha
08-20-2002, 11:28 PM

I think these are referer stats...unique sites, url, referrers are all about what other sites are sending your site hits...but looking at your raw hits and what you say about flash, I am sure you are generating a good size number of uniques per day....

also...everyone loves race car ladies :thumb:

Mikey
08-22-2002, 12:23 AM

How exactly do you figure this? Did you mean 457 per day? Surely those 457 people did not visit our site once a day for 14 straight days? Or am I grossly misinterpreting?

the 457 is an average per day. it is different people. you site gets about 450 uniques a day.

uniques are the most important stat. when you trade traffic you trade unique hits, with per click sponsors, it is usually based on unique hits.

if your referrers in total is 6,759 that means your stats counted 6,759 unique surfers entering your site over the 14 day period.

ecchi mecha
08-22-2002, 12:43 AM

that's "sites" ...so unique sites sending hits to his pages...not unique "hits" ...just look at the raw and you can tell he must be getting in the neighborhood of 10k unique a day :wink: