PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Bandwidth - Paysite Owners ?

seanchai
11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Looking for feedback on if you limit bandwidth per user on your site and what your limit is.
Thanks
Steven

ALOTI
11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
A few sites I worked with capped at 2 gig per 24 hours (A4Y for one). Talk Rick, I think he has caps in place.

ALOTI

Methodcash Rick
11-13-2007, 12:58 AM
A few sites I worked with capped at 2 gig per 24 hours (A4Y for one). Talk Rick, I think he has caps in place.

ALOTI

Nope, we dropped the BW cap about 1.5 years ago, when we started using Strongbox, which allows you to put a small piece of code in your header or footer, and it effectively stops mass downloading programs.

Civic3D
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
we give unlimit for user :)

brango
11-13-2007, 06:00 PM
>>>>we give unlimit for user :)<<<<

...I don't know how much traffic you process. Personally, I distinguish between surfer traffic and member traffic (sorry maybe I have mis-read your quesion).. but any how, I trust that a sensible business decicion would be to somewhat limit the download bandwidth, but not overly so, for members for several reasons.
As far as surfer traffic is concerned, I prefer to cutout all useless traffic be it IN, RU, RO, PH, MY, KR, and all the others. you can either pay for a IP block service at maxmind or look the ranges up at ludos for free.

just my 2 c

PS: Ray Morris is definately the guy you want to talk to if you're concerned about members area traffic: <support@bettercgi.com>

brango
11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
using Strongbox, which allows you to put a small piece of code in your header or footer, and it effectively stops mass downloading programs.

..correct. But there are two phylosphies merged together here. One being the "Anti-Slurp" policy which all paysite owners must have because we don't like people sucking down the entire members area to eventually sell them as a hardcopy (in places we do not intend to sell them anyway) and the other one being limiting bandwidth in order to keep network performance to an acceptable limit and to limit damage done by password traders before Strongbox kicks in.

raymor
11-15-2007, 07:45 PM
We've foudn that just limiting bandwidth per day by itself isn't all that
effective. If the limits are low enough to work very well, they can cause
as many problems as they solve. Because people kept asking about this
over the years, we developed a somewhat more sophisticated system.
Throttlebox has different types of limits that can be set for different types
of files over different time periods. This added level of sophistication
lets it work much more effectively.

seanchai
11-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

We're using Phantom Frog which is behaving awesomely so far to try and cut down on the password hackers (and it seems to be working).
The main issue if people using download management type software to rip the whole site in one go, which we're trying to stifle.

We're trying 10Gb a day a the moment.
Thanks
Steven

brango
11-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
The main issue if people using download management type software to rip the whole site in one go, which we're trying to stifle.

Hi

as previously mentioned, Strongbox does that (almost) by default. The only thing you will have to do is sprinkle around a this simple code on a few of your pages within the members area:
<a href="picslurp.jpg"></a><a href="galleryslurp.html">
..and whenever someone is trying to rip the members area using a mass download tool, Strongbox will kick in and log the user out and if he continues to log in, suspend his password and you'll be notified by email about it.
Both Strongbox and Throttlebox come with statistics overview too.

Bandwidth control is even easier to do with strongbox's extension, the "Throttlebox"

Truly invaluable.